[vlc-devel] Re: timeout on input (select(), read(), poll() timeout?)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Tue Oct 24 22:05:27 CEST 2006

Le mardi 24 octobre 2006 22:54, Georgi Chorbadzhiyski a écrit :
> > The problem is that when network connectivity dies, the connection
> > is not timing out and VLC is not trying to reconnect. It just sits
> > there awaiting frames.
> >
> > This option is not working for me.
> >
> >       --ipv4-timeout <integer>   TCP connection timeout
> >           Default TCP connection timeout (in
> >           milliseconds).

I think that's the timeout for the three-way handshaked, not for the
established connections. In factn the name is very unfortunate, since
it's not IPv4-specific, but TCP-specific.

> I've tried to find how to set timeout for select and/or socket read
> functions. I see that parameter exists but I can't find where the
> functions are called and if timeout parameter is exposed as command
> line option somewhere.

net_ReadNonBlock (and net_Select, but I dislike it) have a timeout
parameter that is set by the calling plugin, at its discretion.

soon graduating
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/infos/CV-en.pdf