[vlc-devel] Re: transcoding network stream bugs

Ricardo Kleemann ricardo at americasnet.com
Mon Oct 30 23:30:34 CET 2006

>> For example, the encoded stream I'm accessing from WME is 80K for
>> video and 20K for audio. Then I try to broadcast it as follows:
>>
>> --sout
>> '#transcode{vcodec=WMV2,vb=80,acodec=mp3,ab=20,samplerate=22050,channels=2}:standard{access=mmsh,mux=asf,dst=:8010}'

> Correct me if i'm wrong, but if it's already coded to the rate you
> want, why transcoding it again ?

Simple... vlc has this nasty bug (I'm guessing it's only with pulling from
WME?) in which it apparently does not recognize the video bitrate, and so it
streams it out at > 1500K. So even if the video being pulled is encoded at
80K, and all I do is '#standard{access=mmsh,mux=asf,dst=:8010}' the video
that gets streamed is > 1500K bitrate.

This has been reported for some time in the videolan forum but never got any
attention I guess.

This is very possibly some sort of incompatibility with WME, all I know is
that vlc will not obey the bitrate, whether it is transcoded or not...