[vlc-devel] Re: Translations for VLC 0.8.6

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Tue Oct 31 18:55:22 CET 2006

Le mardi 31 octobre 2006 18:58, Marian Durkovic a écrit :
> the last letter  t'  is not present in 8859-1 codepage - thus all
> items "Open file", "Open Directory" "Open disc", "Open Network
> Stream" are translated as "Otvorit' ...." and as such all missing.
> The same happens with other non 8859-1 characters.

This looks very much like a bug in WxWidgets (the "portable" GUI
framework with "bug-less" Unicode implementation). My best bet is that
wxConvCurrent returns CP1252 regardless of the actual Windows ANSI code
page.

I guess we have to use the Unicode build of wxWidgets to work-around
this problem. But the problem is that we, VLC developpers,
are "purposedly" causing Win32-WxWidgets Unicode builds to fail.

The other work-around would be to replace the wxConvCurrent with our own
logic to detect the right conversion, but that's error-prone, and I am
simply too burnt out with this WxWidgets madness.

Feel free (if not compelled) to bash the WxWidgets developpers on my
behalf.

even more f***ing pissed off by the WxWidgets developpers and their
crappy so-called toolkit since they contacted us.