[vlc-devel] Re: Issues with Portuguese locale

Ari Constancio ari.constancio at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 13:53:14 CEST 2006

Hello,

> We usually activate the localisation compilation when they reach 30 or
> 40 % of translated strings. The portuguese one was around 17% last time
> i checked ( but that was a while ago, so i'll recheck with the new po
> you sent me when i got home)

I was not aware of the inclusion policy; the translation is about at
19-20% (so, let's wait a little more :)).

> Was in the content of your LANG and LANGUAGES environement variable ?
> I would expet you LANGUAGES variable to be set to something like
> pt_PT,pt,en
>
> Also what other softwares are doing. do they use pt_PT and pt_BR or pt
> and pt_BR or ... ?

LANG is correct (pt_PT) but, actually, pt_PT was missing from
LANGUAGES (but not pt).
Most packages indeed use *pt* instead of *pt_PT*. I chose *pt_PT* as
there was already a pt_BR translation, but probably I should have
chosen *pt* instead, as being the primary idiom.

Ari Constancio