[vlc-devel] Re: FLV and UB for OSX

Le Stang Jean-Baptiste lists at lestang.org
Wed Sep 20 14:11:19 CEST 2006

	I gave a try at creating a UB from the Intel and PPC (v0.8.5)
version and I wrote the following shell script.

#!/bin/bash

INTELROOT=/Volumes/vlc-0.8.5/VLC.app
PPCROOT=/Users/jeanbaptiste/Desktop/VLC.app
UBROOT=/Users/jeanbaptiste/Desktop/VLC-ub.app

for i in `ls $INTELROOT/Contents/MacOS/lib/`
do
         echo $i
         lipo $INTELROOT/Contents/MacOS/lib/$i $PPCROOT/Contents/
MacOS/lib/$i -create -output $UBROOT/Contents/MacOS/lib/$i
done
for i in `ls $INTELROOT/Contents/MacOS/modules/`
do
         echo $i
         lipo $INTELROOT/Contents/MacOS/modules/$i $PPCROOT/Contents/
MacOS/modules/$i -create -output $UBROOT/Contents/MacOS/modules/$i
done
lipo $INTELROOT/Contents/MacOS/VLC $PPCROOT/Contents/MacOS/VLC -
create -output $UBROOT/Contents/MacOS/VLC

	To create a UB from two (or more) object files, you have to use
'lipo' (very funny name when you know that a UB is also called a FAT
binary :p). I really think that creating the UB can be done after
making the PPC and Intel version and then creating the final assembly
(but I'm not 100% sure about this)

	As expected the binary is then kind of enormous , here I have a 62
Mb file. I've uploaded a UB version of VLC onto my web server but I'm
not able to try the Intel version, but on PPC, the UB is working so
far fine. Can anyone give it a try with a MacTel?

<http://lestang.org/VLC-ub.zip>

--
Jean-Baptiste LE STANG