[vlc-devel] Google Summer of Code

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri Apr 13 00:52:18 CEST 2007

Hello to everyone,

I mail you because you have not been selected for Google Summer of Code
for a VideoLAN project.

We are very sorry about that and I think that all the community deserve
some explanations.

As you might be aware, we had a limited number of slots (7) and we have
decided to follow the rule "1 mentor, 1 application" for obvious quality
reasons.  We had many applications, we reviewed all of them.

Some of you have given very interesting new ideas for the project (like
P2PVideolan, New platform ports, GTK+ GUI, etc...) that seemed less
urgent for us, or that we had no mentor competent to do it. For those
people, we would love to help you work on it outside Google SoC.
You can even create some bounties on it. Please contact us if you want
to discuss about it (whining is not a solution, though).

Some applications were very competitive ( Subtitles and Fullscreen
mainly, RTSP but also others) and we had to make a choice. As we are not
robots, we did what we could, although because reviewing and choosing
people on some text files is not always very easy and we may have done
mistakes are misjudged you. Sorry about that. If you want feedback on
your application, don't hesitate to mail me back, (I am a bit overbooked
those days, but I'll do the maximum).
I just want to notice that RTSP was the project with the best
applications and maybe one of the most technical subject.

And then, luck, fate, hazard, chaos or the big spaghetti monster made
some applications noted better than others.

I am pleased to see that some of you have found other projects
(especially some of the best students).

I just want to thank you for all the team for the time you spend writing
applications, and comments.
We are still open to new developers and we need new blood in VLC media
player development. Please don't hesitate to come on IRC with a lot of
humour and fun.

Thanks again,

--
jb