[vlc-devel] VLC Git Tree.

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Fri Apr 13 02:10:48 CEST 2007

Hi all,

Thanks to Antoine (dionoea) we now have a git mirror of the svn tree.

See:
http://wiki.videolan.org/Git

I was wondering if any of the student were planning to use git rather
than a svn branch. If so please keep me posted, I'll try to set up
something better than current implementation.

The main advantage you'll have using Git, is that you will be able to
keep sync-ed with the latest trunk changes & history easily.

Using a svn has its advantage too: it is the tool used by all VLC
commiters. Moreover it is probably simpler to use than git,
especially if you are used to cvs. But as a svn branch will be used
for your work, the merge process will get more complicated: keeping
in sync with the trunk will be harder.

(being sync-ed with trunk is certainly not an obligation but I think
using latest sources has more advantage than the contrary)

Also your work history might even be lost during the final merge
process into the trunk.

Well, whatever you think keep me posted ;)

Thanks,

Pierre.