[vlc-devel] Re: Possible UDP/RTP streaming bug

Dugal Harris dugalh at protoclea.co.za
Fri Apr 13 12:21:31 CEST 2007

Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
> Dugal Harris wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a problem when trying stream high resolution video over UDP /
>> RTP.  The video is 1600x1200 MJPG and I am streaming in its source
>> MJPG format with no transcoding.  The client gives discontinuity and
>> packet loss messages (see attached log for an example).  The upper
>> part of the client video looks ok but the rest is green / garbage.
>>
>> If I take the same source video and transcode it before UDP/RTP
>> streaming or stream it over HTTP, in its source format, then
>> everything works fine.
>>
>> I see this behaviour with the most recent vlc code as well as older
>> versions (0.8.6a and 0.8.5).
>>
>> Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
>
> This is not a bug. What you see is that the network is saturated when
> using MJPEG images of 1600x1200. The network drops UDP/RTP packets on
> the floor when it saturates.
>
> The resolution is to lower the quality of the image by either using
> smaller sized images or transcoding to a lower bitrate.
>
> Gtz,
> Jean-Paul Saman.

Thanks.  This seems unlikely though - the source MJPG video is about
15Mbs which I am streaming over an idle 100Mbs network.  Another thing I
found, that suggests a bug, is when I stream over HTTP and encapsulate
with ASF, it works fine but if I stream over HTTP and encapsulate with
TS I get the same problems.  So it seems like it is a problem with TS
encapsulation and not UDP / RTP packet loss.

Regards
Dugal