[vlc-devel] Re: Possible UDP/RTP streaming bug

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Fri Apr 13 11:14:24 CEST 2007

Dugal Harris wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a problem when trying stream high resolution video over UDP /
> RTP.  The video is 1600x1200 MJPG and I am streaming in its source MJPG
> format with no transcoding.  The client gives discontinuity and packet
> loss messages (see attached log for an example).  The upper part of the
> client video looks ok but the rest is green / garbage.
>
> If I take the same source video and transcode it before UDP/RTP
> streaming or stream it over HTTP, in its source format, then everything
> works fine.
>
> I see this behaviour with the most recent vlc code as well as older
> versions (0.8.6a and 0.8.5).
>
> Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

This is not a bug. What you see is that the network is saturated when
using MJPEG images of 1600x1200. The network drops UDP/RTP packets on
the floor when it saturates.

The resolution is to lower the quality of the image by either using
smaller sized images or transcoding to a lower bitrate.

Gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.