[vlc-devel] Re: Adding a new module

alx eosyop78 at yahoo.fr
Fri Apr 27 12:26:17 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 17:12 +0200, Remi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:25:33 +0200, alx <eosyop78 at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Im trying to add a new plugin in vlc, and i don´t know in which
> category
> > i have to put it.
> >
> > It´s a sip-plugin, so there are two steps. First step is signalisation
> > in order to set streaming parameters such as sip proxy, username and
> > content. Next step is to start a streaming sessions using those
> > parameters. I am using vlm to stream.
> >
> > I would also want to let the user choose his parameters in a graphical
> > way.
> >
> > Any advices on what category i would have to put my plugin?
>
> You can start by putting it to the misc. category. Do not bother you
> with such details - the category is purely a hint for the preference UI
> dialogs.
>
> > Do i need to make two plugins, one for the sip-access / signalisation
> > and one for the streaming ? In that case, how can they communicate
> > to each other ?
>
> If you mean the Session Initiation Protocol, you will probably need to
> implement it as an interface/control plugin, so you have your own
> thread for signaling.
>
> From there, you can spawn a demuxer and a muxer instance to
> en-/decapsulate codec data from/to RTP packets.
>
> --
> Rémi Denis-Courmont
> http://www.remlab.net/

Hi Remi,

Thx for your answer. Yes i meant the Session Initiation Protocol, i will
try to implement it as an interface module. But there is another issue,
how can i make a way to let the user decide graphically his
preferences ? I mean, i added a notebook in the open dialogs but
clicking on OK make vlc look for an access2 module. Anyway to get
through this?

I didnt really understand the two last sentences though. Do i need to
spawn demuxer in the run() function, do i need to call vlc_object_*
routine? Can you give me some example´s location to help me do that ?

It sounds to me that it is in contraction with the use of vlm though..
isn´t it ?

Thx

alex