[vlc-devel] Re: Root cause found for major issue between java bindings and vlc code

Tony Anecito adanecito at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 28 05:15:07 CEST 2007

Forgot to mention after the window associated with the canvas drawing surface is destroyed a new one is created with a new window handle upon reselecting the child window.

  Sorry I know it is complicated but that is why it took a while to find.
  I tried reparenting the canvas upon reselecting the child window using the internalFrameListener internalFrameActivated method but the running thread showing the video is destroyed. If I comment out the message posting of the WM_DESTROY in the message proc the video dissapears and audio continues but that may be due the running video having the window handle to a window for the canvas that was destroyed.

  Regards,
  -Tony

Tony Anecito <adanecito at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Okay,

  After spending a bit of time on it I found the root cause of being able to use vlc code and Java Bindings in a child windows in java (Jdesktop/JinternalFrames). So take for example two child windows one playing a video and the other a blank window. When switching focus from the child window playing the video to the one that has nothing in it back to the one playing the video the JRE destroys the window associated with the canvas drawing surface. In the vlc code the windows WM_DESTROY message is sent sent to the windows proc (DirectXEventProc() in events.c) associated with the window created using CreateWindowEx() in the DirectXCreateWindow() method of events.c.

  So now knowing what the jre will do I still would like the video to continue playing when I switch between child windows and back again or maybe pause when focus goes to another child window then play when focus centers back on the window that was paused.

  The quicktime for java api handles this use case as expected where as vlc kills the running video.

  Any ideas from the vlc team? This is a show stopper for me and probably others in running multiple videos at the same time or even multiple video windows where at least one is running and others paused.

  Regards,
  -Tony

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.