[vlc-devel] Project Idea

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Wed Aug 22 21:18:14 CEST 2007

Le mercredi 22 août 2007, Knudsen, Timor a écrit :
> Actually, I am currently working on a UPnP AV server implementation
> for VLC. UPnP is a standard protocol for advertising  media (files,
> live streams, ...) in the local network, streaming them on demand
> (using standard streaming protocols like HTTP or RTSP) and
> controlling (play, pause, record, and so on) the streams. This
> feature has been asked for in the forums, and as far as I can see,
> there is currently no one else working on this topic. Up to now, no
> code has been produced, but I plan to start coding in end of
> September. It involves heavy use of data structures (search and
> browse contents) and some standard protocols (mostly HTTP). If the
> pure UPnP AV server implementation is not enough, there are several
> ways to extend it, e.g. providing a GUI. The module depends on the
> libupnp, and the language is pure C.
>
> I am not sure wether the VLC team is interested in this
> implementation. From the response I got (none), it is at least not at
> high priority ;-)

For pragmactic reasons, we are interested in patches, not very much in
projects. Be assured that if you post a working UPnP announce plugin
patch, and address the comments from the developpers then, it will be
included.

But we have grown wary of the "I would like to do this, is anyone
interested?" posts, and this accounts for the lack of active response.
UPnP is probably the second most common subject to SUSE specfiles.

Good luck with your implementation,

http://www.remlab.net/