[vlc-devel] How Do The Developers Build Win32 Releases?

Steve Lhomme robux4 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 12:34:03 CEST 2007

Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:54:53 -0400, Bill Dolson <bd at landform.com> wrote:
>
>> How do you build official Win32 releases, cross-compile, Cygwin, or
>> MinGW?
>>

> It's cross-compiled from Linux with mingw.
>

>> (..) I understand Cygwin is preferred for Win32 builds but how do the
>> developers do it?
>>

> Cygwin is not the preferred one, it's the heavily discouraged, due to
> Cygwin poor upstream maintenance quality.

Great! ;)

BTW I tried to build the latest SVN this week-end on a "fresh"
environment and it got stuck in the bootstrap (after compiling some
stuff in extra/contribs) with libgcrypt. I didn't try any further (yet)
but it might be interresting to do a script to do all these tedious tasks.

Also I modified extras/contrib/src/Makefile to change --prefix=$(PREFIX)
into --prefix="$(PREFIX)"
Can anyone tell me if it works on Linux too (I don't have one here) ? So
I can commit...
In the end Videolan (or some dependencies) can be handled in a path with
spaces on MinGW. But that's still a step forward...

Steve