[vlc-devel] Metadata overflow

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 20 23:08:52 CEST 2007

I would be against removing the Publisher and Copyright fields, as
they are currently used in all GUIs and quite useful, especially if
you need to process streams you don't own and want to know about this
stuff.
Implementing a Rating system was always wanted (afair) as soon as we
get a working media library, so one could do dynamic playlists etc,
pretty much like iTunes does. Consider this before removing, as we
are pretty close to this state now :-)

Keeping the Description and EncodedBy tags might be important for a
mp3 player, but since VLC is a lot more than that, it's quite equal
to whether you keep it or not.

So far...

Best,
Felix

Am 20.08.2007 um 04:29 schrieb Rafaël Carré:

> Hi, can i has your opinion on this:
>
> Currently vlc_meta_type_t has too much fields, and some of them are
> useless, and maybe not used in the code.
>
> Some of them could go instead in vlc_meta_t which is a dictionary
> key:value structure.
>
> Here is the current state of this structure, items marked with * are
> proposed for deletion.
>
>     Title
>     Artist
>     Genre
>     *Copyright
>     Album
>     TrackNumber
>     *Description
>     *Rating (implementing a rating system would be a good idea, but
> somehow difficult)
>     Date
>     *Setting
>     URL
>     Language
>     *NowPlaying (maybe useful in interfaces)
>     *Publisher
>     *EncodedBy
>     ArtworkURL
>     *TrackID (could be used in album art downloading, but atm other
> methods are used)
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>