[vlc-devel] Using JVLC in a JAVA application

Javier Gálvez Guerrero dulceangustia at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 18:56:12 CET 2007

Hi everybody,

I am trying to develop a Java application with VLC embedded. I am trying to
develop this application as multiplatform as possible, so I would like to
know if it is possible to use JVLC for Windows and for Linux as well. The
libs are only available for 64 bits systems or I could use with 32 bits
Linux os's and Windows?

However, I downloaded the java jar library file from here
<http://trac.videolan.org/jvlc/wiki/download>and added it to my Eclipse
project library build path. Next, I have tried to run the example
VLCExample.java<http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/browser/trunk/bindings/java/VLCExample.java>to
see how it works, but then the following errors appeared before
showing
anything (both in Ubuntu Linux and Windows systems):

Class File Editor

Source not found

The source attachment does not contains the source for the file JVLC.class .

You can change the source attachment by clicking...

// Compiled from JVLC.java (version 1.1 : 45.3, super bit)
public class org.videolan.jvlc.JVLC implements java.lang.Runnable {

  // Field descriptor #8 J
  private final long _instance;

  // Field descriptor #10 Lorg/videolan/jvlc/Playlist;
  public final org.videolan.jvlc.Playlist playlist;

  // Field descriptor #12 Lorg/videolan/jvlc/Video;
  public final org.videolan.jvlc.Video video;

  // Field descriptor #14 Lorg/videolan/jvlc/Audio;
  public final org.videolan.jvlc.Audio audio;

Then, which are the files Eclipse is looking for? Because I have downloaded
the VLC source code from here <http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/browser/trunk>(all
the files and folders here) and linked many subfolders called src (to check
all possibilites even nonsense ones...) but I have not been able to execute
it properly and the previous error messages are appearing again and again.

== Starting VLCExample ==
Creating a JVLC instance without argsException in thread "main"
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no jvlc in java.library.path
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    at org.videolan.jvlc.JVLC.<clinit>(JVLC.java:36)
    at test.JVLCTest.main(JVLCTest.java:26)

Please, I would like somebody help me because I am really stuck with no
progress and I have not found related threads in the VLC Forum.

Thanks a lot, your help is much appreciated,
Javi