[vlc-devel] vlc: svn commit r23623 (courmisch)

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Sat Dec 15 16:25:57 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 14:48 +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le Saturday 15 December 2007 14:22:42 Gildas Bazin, vous avez écrit :
> > Guess what ? Some sub-modules do have config items.
>
> Plugin entry points build a *single* array of configuration items, which they
> associate to the "main" module (regardless of any add_submodule() stanza
> in-between) in any case, through config_Duplicate().
>
> > Check the ffmpeg one for instance.
>
> It does not have any weird hack to override p_module to p_submodule or
> otherwise use config_Duplicate() manually (which would be a horrendous hack,
> but it used to do that sort of things anyway), hence it does not have
> submodules with config items.

I see. I would argue that the old way of doing things was more sensible
though. It makes more sense to associate config options to the module /
sub-module to which they apply instead of chucking everything into one
place. Sub-modules should really be seen as separate modules. The only
reasons this sub-module concept was introduced was to avoid the
multiplication of plugins and to avoid the situation where 2 different
plugins would have to link against the same library (e.g. ffmpeg).

Anyway, I'll update the wx interface since you don't have the courtesy
of at least attempting to minimise any breakage when you make API
changes.

--
Gildas