[vlc-devel] vlc: svn commit r23620 (gbazin)

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Sat Dec 15 18:49:37 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 17:25 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2007, Gildas Bazin wrote :
> > No offence but I still consider the qt4 interface pretty much unusable.
> > It might have more features and eye candy than the wx one but it is
> > still far from being as stable (e.g. the embedded video mode just
> > doesn't work properly, etc...).
> Help is welcome.
>
> > And even if the qt4 interface was usable, I would still consider the wx
> > interface worth keeping as a simple / minimal looking interface.
> I don't really see the difference in minimality between qt4 in its basic
> mode and wx.
>
> As far as the forum and users says, Unicode is still oftenly broken by
> wx, right-to-left language too and the focus for the hotkeys is still
> unfixed. The slider doesn't behave correctly.
>
> Thanks for the support for my work, this is always nice.

Sorry for the harsh tone. I realise that the qt4 interface is not quite
mature yet but that people are working hard to make it so.

The only point I was trying to make is that it isn't sensible to stop
supporting the wx interface right now (I'm not talking about adding new
features to it, just making sure it keeps working). I know the wx
interface also has its own set of issues but it still has less major
usability issues than the qt4 one.

I actually do like the qt4 interface and I would probably use it if it
wasn't for a few issues which make it unusable for me.
- embedded video mode generally doesn't work well:
 -- Videos are always started with an incredibly small size.
 -- There is no "auto size" feature as in the wx interface to
automatically resize the interface so the video is displayed in its
native size.
 -- The interface doesn't resize itself down to its minimal size when
video playback is stopped and the control widgets re-organise themselves
in a weird way.
- the behaviour of the playlist widget is also annoying:
 -- It resizes the video when you display/hide it.
 -- The "always on top" behaviour when undocked is also quite
irritating.

Regards,

--
Gildas