[vlc-devel] Branching?

jboileau jboileau at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 23:53:07 CET 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 4:48 PM, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org> wrote:

> Le Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:42:12 -0500,
> jboileau <jboileau at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> > FYI - I have been doing quite a bit of testing under Windows (mostly
> > through libvlc-control) and the last nightly build that worked well
> > enough for me was the 2007-11-26 build which, if I am correct,
> > includes changeset 23325 and prior.
>
> What is the problem exactly, since these nightly build ?

The latest few builds simply crash. vlc.exe crashes on startup. My
application, built on libvlc, gets an access violation calling libvlc_new.
Older nightly builds after 2007-11-26, that do not crash, do not play my
divx files that played flawlessly using 2007-11-26 (except for the problem
when using buffers of course. see here
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/774). It would play well for about 8
seconds and then freezes (the video not vlc).

> > If I can be of help checking out releases under Windows let me know.
> > I'll be glad to help. I have been doing quick try out almost daily
> > recently trying to see if things are back to normal under Windows,
> > might as well continue! :-) The least I can do is give you guys some
> > feddback.
>
> Feedback is always welcome, (especially positive feedback).
> It can help also if you can make clear and reproducible bug reports on
> trac.videolan.org

I agree that positive feedback is one of the best reward for anyone working
on open source. As a positive note: I have been doing work using VLC for
about a 1 1/2 year now. I started using it as an external application that I
controlled using HTTP (version 0.8.1), but now I am trying to move to using
libvlc.dll directly in my application. Although I use VLC in my work, I soon
realized that this seemingly small application (well, it is only about 2 cm
high! :-) ) can play just about anything I throw at it without installing
anything else (codecs). Now it is my player of choice for personnal use as
well as what I use to develop a streaming application here at work.

I will take a look at trac.videolan.org and see how I can help through
there. I have just recently found this mailing list through the forum. I
didn't get too many answers through the forum for the past 1 1/2 year until
recently someone answered one of my request for help by: try posting this on
the dev mailing list! (Bless him!). I am new to everything regarding
development here and I have been reluctant to jump too quickly on the
bandwagon and simply filling reports of already known problems, etc. I still
kindy feel like I am intruding. But I had an excellent exchange of emails
through this mailing list with Pierre d'Herbermont which ended up with 2
additions that I am sure will not be only worthwhile for me but to anyone
using libvlc.See https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/changeset/23618 and
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/changeset/23606. He as been just great helping
out on these. I don't know where he is located (France?), but to be able to
get these fixes in a matter of minutes after discussing with him on this
list right from my kitchen table a very snowy morning here in Montréal has
been a gas!

Just a note on would be OS bashes, if any. We can argue for hours how bad
MS$ is but to me Windows and Visual Studio are what enables me to pay for my
family`s needs. Sometimes choices are governed by real life necessities! :-)
Unfortunatly libvlc is not the easiest to use in a Visual Studio
environment, but I get by.

If you would like more details on the work I do with VLC, let me know...

--
Rafaël Carré

Jacques Boileau