[vlc-devel] Branching?

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Thu Dec 20 00:10:19 CET 2007

Le Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:53:07 -0500,
jboileau <jboileau at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Dec 19, 2007 4:48 PM, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org> wrote:
>
> > Le Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:42:12 -0500,
> > jboileau <jboileau at gmail.com> a écrit :
> >
> > > FYI - I have been doing quite a bit of testing under Windows
> > > (mostly through libvlc-control) and the last nightly build that
> > > worked well enough for me was the 2007-11-26 build which, if I am
> > > correct, includes changeset 23325 and prior.
> >
> > What is the problem exactly, since these nightly build ?
>

> The latest few builds simply crash. vlc.exe crashes on startup. My
> application, built on libvlc, gets an access violation calling
> libvlc_new. Older nightly builds after 2007-11-26, that do not crash,
> do not play my divx files that played flawlessly using 2007-11-26
> (except for the problem when using buffers of course. see here
> https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/774). It would play well for
> about 8 seconds and then freezes (the video not vlc).

Ok, for crashes, without a verbose backtrace (including files and lines
where the crash occurs) obtained with gdb (and i don't know how to use
gdb on windows, you must ask our cygwin expert Trax) we can't do
anything.

> > > If I can be of help checking out releases under Windows let me
> > > know. I'll be glad to help. I have been doing quick try out
> > > almost daily recently trying to see if things are back to normal
> > > under Windows, might as well continue! :-) The least I can do is
> > > give you guys some feddback.
> >
> > Feedback is always welcome, (especially positive feedback).
> > It can help also if you can make clear and reproducible bug reports
> > on trac.videolan.org
> >
> I agree that positive feedback is one of the best reward for anyone
> working on open source. As a positive note: I have been doing work
> using VLC for about a 1 1/2 year now. I started using it as an
> external application that I controlled using HTTP (version 0.8.1),
> but now I am trying to move to using libvlc.dll directly in my
> application. Although I use VLC in my work, I soon realized that this
> seemingly small application (well, it is only about 2 cm high! :-) )
> can play just about anything I throw at it without installing
> anything else (codecs). Now it is my player of choice for personnal
> use as well as what I use to develop a streaming application here at
> work.

Cool.

> I will take a look at trac.videolan.org and see how I can help through
> there. I have just recently found this mailing list through the
> forum. I didn't get too many answers through the forum for the past 1

A lot of people are asking questions on the forums, but a few are
answering :/
The preferred modes of communication are the mailing list and irc
(#videolan on freenode).

> 1/2 year until recently someone answered one of my request for help
> by: try posting this on the dev mailing list! (Bless him!). I am new
> to everything regarding development here and I have been reluctant to
> jump too quickly on the bandwagon and simply filling reports of
> already known problems, etc. I still kindy feel like I am intruding.

Everyone is welcomed to speak since the lists are public !
Feel free to express yourself, not having anyone answering can mean a
lot of things (people don't read your mail, don't care, are too busy,
forget about it .. etc ..)

> But I had an excellent exchange of emails through this mailing list
> with Pierre d'Herbermont which ended up with 2 additions that I am
> sure will not be only worthwhile for me but to anyone using
> libvlc.See https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/changeset/23618 and
> https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/changeset/23606. He as been just great
> helping out on these. I don't know where he is located (France?), but
> to be able to get these fixes in a matter of minutes after discussing
> with him on this list right from my kitchen table a very snowy
> morning here in Montréal has been a gas!

I think he's in Paris.
Please send me some snow i'm missing it :(

> Just a note on would be OS bashes, if any. We can argue for hours how
> bad MS$ is but to me Windows and Visual Studio are what enables me to
> pay for my family`s needs. Sometimes choices are governed by real
> life necessities! :-) Unfortunatly libvlc is not the easiest to use
> in a Visual Studio environment, but I get by.

The problem is more that nobody fixes windows specific VLC bugs.
I respect the choice people make about their OS as long as they don't
bore me, even if they make a stupid choice ;)

> If you would like more details on the work I do with VLC, let me
> know...

What are you doing with VLC ? ;)

--
Rafaël Carré