[vlc-devel] Problem cross-compiling VLC under mingw

ken kens at campoz.fslife.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 19:32:27 CET 2007

I am interested in working on the mini-project to develop DVB support
for Windows.
Target machine is a P3 500MHz WinXP Home with Hauppauge Nova-T-500 dual
DVB-T tuners. On that machine I run DVB-Webscheduler and VLC to stream
the files across my LAN.
My development machine is a dual boot  AMD64 Athlon 3200+ running both
Win XP Pro and Ubuntu. I have installed gcc and also built a gcc
cross-compiler for mingw.
I am using gcc 4.1.2, mingw 3.4.5, binutils 3.17

I’ve done lots of programming in many languages including c++  but for
many years it has been a hobby rather than a profession. Included in
that I have written the odd device driver but that was a long time ago.
Downside is that I am not very familiar with BDA (although I have
started studying it) and the svn thing is completely foreign to me. I’m
also studying the relevant bits of VLC but struggling a bit to know
where to start.
I’m happy to do anything to help including coding, testing, documenting
as I’d really like to get it working. I just need to be pointed in the
right direction.

As a start I've downloaded vlc.0.8.6a and compiled/linked successfully
on linux. I then tried compiling for mingw and hit a few snags which I
think are to do with compiler options as they happen in win32 specific
code.
My configure is at http://paste.videolan.org/1309
My first error was in cdrom.c - output log is at
http://paste.videolan.org/1302
This seems to be related to the use of the FARPROC cast. I made a change
(which I now believe to be wrong) to work around this then hit another
error in filter.cpp in the dshow module. Output log is at
http://paste.videolan.org/1310
This also seems to be related to pointers to functions in win32.

Seeing as everything else is compiling OK I'm thinking this is to do
with how I have set up to compile under mingw. Can anyone help?

Ken