[vlc-devel] Can't Build from Source, want to help with image filters/scaling and quality control

Neil Woodall neil at woodall.occoxmail.com
Sat Feb 24 00:58:21 CET 2007

Let me introduce myself. I'm a Fellow of DSP engineering at
Pixelworks, Inc (www.pixelworks.com). We build image processing SOC's
for TV's and projectors. We have started moving our development
environment from Windows to Linux, so we are looking to replace some
of our Image processing DSP tools.

I've been trying to evaluate the viability of using VLC as a shell
for our company's image processing development (which would add ~30
software/dsp engineers to the list of people working to find and
solve bugs for VLC along with some methodology engineers for quality
control), but I've been unable to build the package from source using
Fedora Core 5. I've tried using the forums for help and emailing this
list, but without any luck. I've also looked at the commands given to
the buildbot, searched the web, etc...and can not find a solution.

I finally gave up when trying to duplicate the buildbot set of
commands I got an error that byte_t was defined twice. Once in /
extras/contrib/include/libraw1394/raw1394.h and once in  include/
vlc_common.h. Since libraw1394 is part of the make src instructions
(and I could find no other instructions on what to include in extra/
contrib... vs. /usr/lib location) this definitely points to a bug in
the make instructions.

I even downloaded the rpm for 0.8.5 so that I could verify that I had
all the required shared libraries and still could not build 0.8.5 (or
0.8.6 or 0.8.6-bugfix or the trunk) from the sources.

I would still like to use VLC as a platform, but unless I can get a
reproducible process for building the application from the sources,
which at minimum means producing a step by step set of instructions
that goes from a clean install of Fedora Core 5 to working
application, we can not use VLC as a starting point.

If we do use VLC, our contribution to the effort would be to extend
the image filters and scaling routines to use the Cell SPE's, which
would give the PS3 users something pretty special, and I would
probably insist (especially after my experience) that our methodology
department setup a nightly build(s) to be run on our server farm. We
would probably also look into actually trying to verify that the
build works, not just that it makes without errors.

BTW, one thing I would recommend for quality control purposes is to
change your nightly build process to start with a checkout of the svn
database to an empty directory for vlc and any source code that would
be built in the extra/contrib directory. I would also recommend that
you don't use external servers for getting the source code that is in
the extra/contrib directory or that you statically link to, but
instead store a copy on your svn server and get it from there. That
way when you tag a release, you also tag ALL the make dependencies.

Neil