[vlc-devel] Re: VoD Support for RTP over RTSP (RTP TCP) and RTSP/RTP in HTTP

Skye Poier Nott skye at F4.ca
Mon Feb 26 20:18:01 CET 2007

On Feb 26, 2007, at 01:02, Remi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> (Note:
> RTP over TCP, is NOT interleaved RTP. Interleaved RTP is a big kludge
> that runs on the RTSP control session for best NAT/firewall traversal.

Noted!

> As such, I think we should stick to using "interleaved RTP" to avoid
> possible confusion.)
>
>> and
>> QuickTime Player's special RTSP/RTP in HTTP tunnel.
>
> Is that some kind of RTSP query on top of regular HTTP methods for
> HTTP proxy traversal ?

Yes, the client initiates two HTTP sockets which act as half-duplex
tunnels carrying base64 encoded interleaved RTP

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/QTSS/Concepts/
chapter_2_section_14.html

The QuickTime Player fallback looks like this:

First it tries RTP over UDP:

SETUP rtsp://bla RTSP/1.0
Transport: RTP/AVP;unicast;client_port=6972-6973

Then after 8 seconds or whatever of no data, tries the tunnel method:

GET /file.mpg HTTP/1.0
x-sessioncookie: vVBARwAABGkAFI8XABSKRQ
Accept: application/x-rtsp-tunnelled
Pragma: no-cache
Cache-Control: no-cache

.. etc (another socket with POST)

> If so, it might be much simpler to just do the interleaved RTP/RTSP
> with TLS, and then do HTTP CONNECT. With this approach you would get
> proxy traversal for free once you have interleaved RTP working.

That seems to be Apple's thinking as well

Thanks for your help everyone, I hope to get company approval to
start on this soon!

Skye