[vlc-devel] Re: VoD Support for RTP over RTSP (RTP TCP) and RTSP/RTP in HTTP

Remi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Feb 26 10:02:34 CET 2007

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:12:53 -0800, Skye Poier Nott <skye at f4.ca> wrote:
> As I posted here:
>
> http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?p=100815#100815

> I'll soon be starting work on enhancing VLC's VoD streaming to
> support RTP over RTSP (RTP over TCP aka interleaved RTP)

(Note:
RTP over TCP, is NOT interleaved RTP. Interleaved RTP is a big kludge
that runs on the RTSP control session for best NAT/firewall traversal.

RTP over TCP aka TCP/RTP/AVP is just a framing of RTP over a TCP
connection, a priori not interleaving. It's sufficient for NAT traversal,
and a lesser kludge, but it will not support proxy/firewall traversal.

As such, I think we should stick to using "interleaved RTP" to avoid
possible confusion.)

> and
> QuickTime Player's special RTSP/RTP in HTTP tunnel.

Is that some kind of RTSP query on top of regular HTTP methods for
HTTP proxy traversal ?

If so, it might be much simpler to just do the interleaved RTP/RTSP
with TLS, and then do HTTP CONNECT. With this approach you would get
proxy traversal for free once you have interleaved RTP working.

This will allow
> the VoD server to stream to clients behind NAT and behind web
> proxies. Currently, if I'm not mistaken, VLC's VoD only supports
> sending RTP/UDP to clients.

Yes, you are right. I am working on *plain* TCP/RTP/AVP and
DCCP/RTP/AVP but they are just not there, and then there is no binding
to the RTSP code anyway. I think gibalou had some interleaved RTP at
some point, but I do not know the state of it.

(...)
> If anyone else is working on this

I don't think anybody is doing it at the moment.

> or would like to volunteer as a contact when I have questions
> about internal APIs or the "right place" to put new modules,
> hooks etc please let me know.

I somewhat know the http daemon, though fenrir might more
knowledgeable (but I cannot offer someone's else time). For RTSP code,
err... dunno, I think gibalou wrote it and he is practically gone.
In any case, I strongly recommend you put your question to vlc-devel
mailing list.

Regards,

http://www.remlab.net/