[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r19042 (courmisch)

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Wed Feb 28 20:36:51 CET 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le mardi 27 février 2007 22:08, Derk-Jan Hartman a écrit :
> > On 27-feb-2007, at 17:54, Subversion daemon wrote:
> > > r19042 | courmisch | 2007-02-27 17:54:38 +0100 (Tue, 27 Feb 2007) |
> > > 2 lines
> > > Changed paths:
> > >    M /trunk/modules/services_discovery/sap.c
> > >
> > > Listen to link-local SAP announces too

> > This breaks the windows build because windows doesn't have
> > if_nameindex()
>
> Microsoft has a crappy socket stack. I have already wasted enough of my
> time trying to work-around their bugs (yes, there are a bunch of them),
> wrapping their insanely non-standard APIs, and fixing our own
> Winsock/Win32-specific port bugs. I just stopped. If Win32 ignores
> standards, I can fairly ignore Win32. Whenever I need to write
> something to run on Windows, I use Mono (Java would probably do), but
> that's out of topic here.
 I really think VLC has to run on Win32, we have a large user community
that use this OS. Of course we lack win32 coders but it's not this way
that we will atract new ones.

> Besides, I cannot decently provide a Win32-specific implementation since
> I could not test it. And I can only discourage people from trying to do
> that (porting without testing); that's one of the primary source of
> VLC/Win32 bugs.
 If you cannot test the changes you make on a sensitive part, you know,
may/will not work on one of the main ports, then just do NOT commit it.
 Send a patch to vlc-devel and wait until it is approuved by someone who
can test it. It is a bad way to commit and wait for others to fixes your
code just because you don't care.
 You can also create a new branche, and commit your changes in it while
your patches are not yet been approuved.

 Now that's only MY opinion, others may disagree, but I think that unless
Videolan decides (and not one developer) to drop win32, you should not
choose on your own to break it when it pleases you.

--
fenrir