[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r19042 (courmisch)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Wed Feb 28 21:20:21 CET 2007

Le mercredi 28 février 2007 21:36, Laurent Aimar a écrit :
>  I really think VLC has to run on Win32, we have a large user
> community that use this OS. Of course we lack win32 coders but it's
> not this way that we will atract new ones.

Sure, but we haven't attracted that many either, and we have managed to
loose all OSS-world developpers to Mplayer and gstreamer. You have a
very one sided view of that specific issue.

> > Besides, I cannot decently provide a Win32-specific implementation
> > since I could not test it. And I can only discourage people from
> > trying to do that (porting without testing); that's one of the
> > primary source of VLC/Win32 bugs.
>
>  If you cannot test the changes you make on a sensitive part, you
> know, may/will not work on one of the main ports, then just do NOT
> commit it. Send a patch to vlc-devel and wait until it is approuved
> by someone who can test it. It is a bad way to commit and wait for
> others to fixes your code just because you don't care.
>  You can also create a new branche, and commit your changes in it
> while your patches are not yet been approuved.

The surest way to not have it commited ever. I personnaly follow the
release early, release often schema, and if a feature is working on
sane OSes, it's commitable if not releasable to me.

That's the whole point; we are investing so much into the Win32 port
that there is:
1/ little time left for actual improvements,
2/ Linux/BSD developpers run away to the competition (and there are a
lot more OSS developpers on Linux/BSD than on Win32).

And that becomes a vicious circle: since VLC lags on POSIX systems
because of Win32, nobody adds features, so it lags more, so it attracts
devs less, and so on.

http://www.remlab.net/