[vlc-devel] Re: RTSP seeking problem

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Wed Jan 31 20:05:44 CET 2007

DNA Studios s.r.l. wrote:
> VLC have many problems with the seeking in RTSP streams.....
> I give you the link of my server (Darwin Streaming Server) and I hope
> that it can be useful to resolve this problem.
>
> rtsp://85.18.216.107/test01.mp4   this is baseline profile (x264) hinted
> with mpeg4ip
> rtsp://85.18.216.107/test02.mp4   this is baseline profile (x264) hinted
> with QuickTime
>
> To see the videos you must enable the http tunneling (in vlc and in QT)
>
> In both cases the seeking with VLC does not work and after 35 seconds
> vlc crash (this is very strange)?!?!?
>
> You can see that QT play the movie perfectly and the seeking work fine.
> Still very strange, VLC and QT in local plays perfectly both the videos
> and the seeking work.

The problem is likely to be in the way VLC and live555 react to the
streams and RTSP information from Darwin Streaming Server. VLC en DSS
use aggregated mode. In aggregated mode needs the implementation of
RTP-Info in liveMedia, which isn't available at the moment.

M2X has already made a patch for you against trunk. (The patch doesn't
work well against 0.8.6a as we found out.) DJ is working on a another
live555 patch to implement the aggregated mode. This mode is needed for
keeping the sync after a seek operation.

Gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.