[vlc-devel] Informational note on GPL versions

Michel Lespinasse walken at zoy.org
Tue Jul 10 12:40:20 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 10:22:44PM +0200, Sam Hocevar wrote:
>    I'm resurrecting a message from last year, sorry about that.
>
>    Actually libvcdinfo is GPLv2 or later, it's the copyright file in the
> Debian package that was wrong.
>
>    Also libsmbclient is now *GPLv3 only*, which means binary
> distributors need to be careful about which libraries are being used
> (because GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible).

I'd be curious to know how VLC developpers feel about DPLv3
(ooops, that was a typo, it's funny enough that I dont want to fix it though :)

I personally have not read the final version, I am however quite aligned
with the declared goals and would consider using "v3 or later" in future
projects (and/or future libmpeg2/a52 major releases, if ever...)

--
Michel "Walken" Lespinasse
"Bill Gates is a monocle and a Persian cat away from being the villain