[vlc-devel] How To get builds working again without getText 0.16.1?

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Mon Jul 30 16:58:58 CEST 2007

Le lundi 30 juillet 2007, Tony Anecito a écrit :
> Since someone changed the build to require getText
> 0.16.1 builds for developers using cygwin have
> stopped.

We changed the official version to 0.16.1, meaning you need 0.16.1 to
rebuild the intl/ and po/ directories which still contained overly
outdated 0.11.5 files. There is no other way but to use the version
that is available to most developpers, and 0.16.1 happens to be both in
our contrib/ and in Debian/Ubuntu at the moment. Also 0.11.5 does not
play well with the recent automake versions that most of us now have.

Besides, it is a well documented fact that developping VLC with Cygwin
is a bad idea, and that you're on your own doing this. Mingw32 is the
official platform, and MSYS is supposed to work better for native
builds.

> I have looked on the net and it appears
> support for getText for 0.16.1 appears non-existant.
> Is there a safe way to convert back before that
> happened or at least setup something to not do that
> part of the build that uses getText?

No.

> All I want to do
> is get the latest changes for the java bindings that
> fix sync issues that are critical for me to have.
> Cygwin took a very long time to setup and going to
> another build system under windows is not an option.

Do not run autopoint, and stick to the official files from SVN.

http://www.remlab.net/