[vlc-devel] GPLv3 again

Neil Woodall neil at woodall.occoxmail.com
Sat Jul 21 19:39:42 CEST 2007

As the top technical person in a company that makes IC for TV's (and
other devices) and supplies software to run those TV's, the anti TIVO
portion of GPLv3 will cause a lot of problems. We are now seeing
customer acceptance of using Linux as an OS for the devices, but if
GPLv3 means that we have to supply enough of the source code to allow
unrestricted use of the hardware...that could be a problem. When the
user installs their own software and the TV breaks, is it a hardware
defect or a software defect...and how do you prove that it's because
someone replaced the software with their own? If the user installs
software that bypasses DRM, does that break the license for the TV
set manufacturer and cause them not to sell TV's with that feature
anymore? Consumer embedded devices typically require a lot of IP
licenses to make them useful. Violating one of those licenses in a
way that causes it to be withdrawn from the manufacturer could make
the device useless and force the manufacturer to stop selling the
product.

All GPL3 will do is reduce the momentum that Linux is gathering for
use in embedded devices, so my feeling is that GPL3 will result in
less user modifiable devices than more.