[vlc-devel] GPLv3 again

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Fri Jul 20 16:58:42 CEST 2007

[Starting a new thread, 'cause I lost the original one]

	Hello,

From my reading, these are the main difference from GPLv2 to GPLv3 that
I've spotted (this is not an excuse for not reading yourself):

* It is less US-centric; in particular, the liability disclaimer may now
be viable in France and other countries with strong consumer
protection.

* It solves a bunch of silly license incompatibilities, such as with
preservation and advertisement of legal notices. For instance, I think
that would allow linking against OpenSSL or recent faad.

* The patents language is more explicit, though not much stronger. In
any case, it is surely better for those without patents (including
most, if not all, significat VLC developpers).

* The DRM language is not as political as it used to be. What is left is
merely a protection of users from copyright holders. I *think* this is
good, consistent with my opinion that you cannot build proper DRM with
GPL code (if at all anyway), while I really did not like the text in
earlier drafts.

* To me, the anti-TiVo stuff is the most arguable. Basically, you have
to give users sufficient informations to replace GPL software with
their modified variant on any device, including embedded ones. As a
user of embedded devices, I like that.
But as an author of software that may end up on embedded devices, I am
not so positive. Afterall, so long as the device vendor gives me its
source code modifications back to me, I do not really care whether its
users can change the binary code on their device. I am considering
putting a "special exception" against this on my own GPL'd software,
but this is not possible for VLC, since there are too many copyright
holders at stake.

As Sam pointed out, it is likely that we will be forced to switch
anyway, sooner rather than later, as any of dependencies switch to
(L)GPLv3. libsmbclient is a known case, but it is not a very important
dep.

With these considerations in mind, I support switching future releases
of VLC to GPLv3+ (assuming GPLv3 is accepted as DFSG-free), and other
VideoLAN software to (L)GPLv3+ as appropriate.

Regards,

http://www.remlab.net/