[vlc-devel] Informational note on GPL versions

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Mon Jul 9 22:36:56 CEST 2007

Le lundi 9 juillet 2007, Sam Hocevar a écrit :
>    I'm resurrecting a message from last year, sorry about that.

> On Fri, Nov 10, 2006, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > There's been some informal discussions about VLC's GPL versioning
> > on IRC this afternoon. I've had a quick look at the licenses of
> > most of our dependencies (but definitely not all, and definitely
> > neither fully accurate).

I note that the GPLv3 text has changed quite a bit since then (and is
IMHO much better now).

> > At least the following dependencies seem to be distributed under
> > GPL version 2 with NO provision for later versions:
> > libvcdinfo
> > libsmbclient
>
>    Actually libvcdinfo is GPLv2 or later, it's the copyright file in
> the Debian package that was wrong.

OK thanks for the clarification. Still, I did mention that I did NOT
check every dependencies. AFAIR, I only checked the direct Build-Deps
of your Debian package at the time.

>    Also libsmbclient is now *GPLv3 only*, which means binary
> distributors need to be careful about which libraries are being used
> (because GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible).

I assume you mean it will be GPLv3 only if upgraded to Samba >= 3.2.0.
Which basically mean VLC will end up being GPLv3 even if we keep
version 2. And that applies to contrib maintainers as well.

What's the status of GPLv3 and LGPLv3 w.r.t. DFSG still?

http://www.remlab.net/