[vlc-devel] Informational note on GPL versions

Sam Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Mon Jul 9 22:22:44 CEST 2007

   I'm resurrecting a message from last year, sorry about that.

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> There's been some informal discussions about VLC's GPL versioning on IRC
> this afternoon. I've had a quick look at the licenses of most of our
> dependencies (but definitely not all, and definitely neither fully
> accurate).
>
> At least the following dependencies seem to be distributed under GPL
> version 2 with NO provision for later versions:
> libvcdinfo
> libsmbclient

   Actually libvcdinfo is GPLv2 or later, it's the copyright file in the
Debian package that was wrong.

   Also libsmbclient is now *GPLv3 only*, which means binary
distributors need to be careful about which libraries are being used
(because GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible).

> libsysfs seems to be LGPL v>=2.1 though some part of its source package
> are GPL v==2.

   Yup, though these parts are only example and support files.

--
Sam.