[vlc-devel] Seen in the forum. Job proposition

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Jun 28 18:15:38 CEST 2007

This was on the forum. As most of you don't read it... :D

Here we are

Hello, we are seeking a VLC consultant to help us build a very simple
two-way, high-definition video conferencing system using VideoLan. I
hope it is OK to post this on the general discussion message board. The
project description is below. Anyone interested may send a response to
vc070628 --at-- jaroker.com.

-----
VideoLAN Consultant to Design and Deploy a Two-Way HD Video Conference
Demonstration System
The VideoLAN consultant will assist in the design and deployment of a
two-way, high-definition video conferencing system that use DV
camcorders. The consultant’s role will be to recommend compatible
hardware, assist in software installation and configuration and
troubleshooting. (No custom software development will be done at this
stage.)

The VideoLan consultant must have experience with Linux, video capture
cards, media gateways (such as Microsoft MediaCenter, Amino STB, Apple
iTV) and must be able to recommend hardware to build a small form factor
server (using Mac Mini or Shuttle PC computers). Experience with high
definition video, CCTV cameras and LCD monitors is desirable.

The required video resolutions will be 1920x1080 Progressive and
1280x720 Progressive.

The VideoLan consultant can work remotely. The VideoLan server, network
configuration and set-top-box management will be done by our company.

The VideoLan consultant will:

1) Design the system and network architecture, specifying the hardware
components for the VideoLan server, specify compatible STBs, specify
network configuration (such as ports), specify the operating system,
etc.
2) Install all software and drivers on the VideoLan server (logging in
remotely will be OK) and configure the STBs (by logging in remotely or
providing us with step-by-step instructions)
3) Deliver complete documentation, diagramming the hardware and network
architecture and providing step-by-step instructions on software
installation and configuration. These instructions must be sufficient
for us to follow in configuring the second VideoLan server that will be
part of the Usage Scenario below.
4) Assist in the debugging of the system until the service works as
described in the Usage Scenario below:

USAGE SCENARIO: Over our 1Gbps LAN, we will install two identical
systems in different locations. Each system will include the HD camera,
VideoLan server, STB and HD LCD TV that the VideoLan Consultant will
specify and configure. Video and audio captured from one location will
be unicast to the other location, where the video and audio are
delivered to the LCD TV.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf