[vlc-devel] Re: Google SoC

Remi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Thu Mar 1 09:58:51 CET 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 02:03:56 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> We should try to apply for Google SoC this year. This has already been
> discussed on IRC.
> Applications to SoC are to be done between March 5 and 12.
>
> So, any good idea should be posted on http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2007
> in the very few days. Then we should choose some to submit.

http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&type=enhancement&order=priority

UPnP server output
D-Bus control interface
RTSP/1.1 server
HTTP/RTSP server scalability (if it is still bad, which I have not checked)
and lots of other stuff

but also:

.Net bindings
Event polling without arbitrary (CPU waking up) timers
X11/Gtk/something interface for small screens

I am suspicious about these ones:

I do not know what VLC does with subtitles, but I had a feeling most of the
stuff there is already mostly implemented. SoC is a two (or is it three?)
months job...

AFAIK RTCP client is already done by Live555. RTCP server is already mostly
done. Other stuff looks OK, but I think you will need more details to have
any chance of Google merely answering our query (they did not even bother to
send a negative answer last year).

http://www.remlab.net/