[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r19076 (sigmunau)

Sigmund Augdal sigmund.augdal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 11:01:42 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 09:42 +0100, Remi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Thu,  1 Mar 2007 00:52:48 +0100 (CET), Subversion daemon <svn at videolan.org> wrote:
> > r19076 | sigmunau | 2007-03-01 00:52:48 +0100 (Thu, 01 Mar 2007) | 3 lines
> > Changed paths:
> >    M /trunk/src/misc/mtime.c
> >
> > disable clock_nanosleep for mwait for now. Fixes dvd and vob playback
> > for me.
>
> WTF?
Indeed. I haven't been able to play more than three seconds of dvd or
vob files for a very long time. Yesterday I narrowed the cause down to
[17929]. The problem _allways_ happen with this changeset applied and it
_never_ happens without it. The changeset itself cannnot cleanly be
reverse-applied to trunk and I figured it would be a bad idea to revert
all changes back to that one so I settled on this approch to fix the
issue. I did not succeed in finding why the current code does not work,
but I'm beyond doubt that it does in fact not work.

I do have some concerns about the current code even if these does not
seem to bue the cause of my issues. You should only fall back to
CLOCK_REALTIME in case clock_nanosleep returns ENOTSUP, it may return
other values according to documentation. This is particularly true for
CLOCK_ABSTIME in which case it might end up sleeping indefinitly on a
false fallback.

Please feel free to fix if you like, but do test properly before
commiting such a fix. I will not spend more time on it because to me it
seems the msleep() based approch works perfectly.

Regards

Sigmund Augdal