[vlc-devel] Re: SoC Propositions.

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Fri Mar 9 16:21:36 CET 2007

On 9-mrt-2007, at 10:48, Pedro Alonso wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to purpose another project. It would be to synchronize audio
> and subtitles. It would be done detecting the first voice in the
> movie, so considering that the first sentence of the subtitles file
> should be show in that moment, the offset could be get easy. The
> subtitles would be synchronized and the user doesn't need to care
> about it. I'd like to get some feedback and opinions about that
> project.

Sounds difficult. You have to detect the difference between a voice
and other sounds, but more importantly, many movies start with
"silent" titles that are translated. Also often subtitles
(especially) anime starts with some credits of the subgroup and stuff.

The technique you describe above is often used when "authoring"
subtitles, but notice that in such a case, there will always be
confirmation by the author about the correct detection and of such a
"voice fragment". There is active user involvement. I don't see how
this can be done reliably during playback, without having the risk of
messing up subtitles that would normally be working just fine.

DJ