[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r19438 (pdherbemont)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sun Mar 25 11:05:22 CEST 2007

Le dimanche 25 mars 2007 11:31, Pierre d'Herbemont a écrit :
> Well, depends of what you call older: gcc < 2.7 doesn't.

As far as GCC is concerned, VLC 0.9.0 requires 3.3 and up anyway.
Besides no sane person will try to use gcc < 2.95, or gcc 3.0-3.2.

Even my first C compiler (from the early nineties) supports C++
comments. In fact, about any C++-capable compiler accept C++ comments
in pure C code.

C99 mandates support for // comments.

(...)
> it won't hurt to try to to follow the ANSI-C standard.

It DOES hurt to use ANSI C. It's almost 20 years old. Problems with ANSI
C have already been discussed at length here.

> It's like XHTML Strict vs XHTML Transitional (or HTML 4.0
> Transitional). Both are supported by web browsers, but most (or
> good ;-) ) web developers try to follow the Strict rules.

If you want to compare with HTML, ANSI C is like HTML 2.0. C99 is like
XHTML strict and GNU C is Transitional. Your metaphor fails miserably
to me.

And please do not invoke readability. VLC code is anyway unreadable
because its insane alien parathesis/spacing conventions.

http://www.remlab.net/