[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r19438 (pdherbemont)

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Sun Mar 25 11:46:11 CEST 2007

On 25 mars 07, at 11:05, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

>> it won't hurt to try to to follow the ANSI-C standard.
>
> It DOES hurt to use ANSI C. It's almost 20 years old. Problems with
> ANSI
> C have already been discussed at length here.

I don't really intend to have VLC follow ANSI-C ;-) but again
compatibility won't hurt, especially in this case. (see my re-comment
on my probably silly metaphor about Strict vs Transitional).

>> It's like XHTML Strict vs XHTML Transitional (or HTML 4.0
>> Transitional). Both are supported by web browsers, but most (or
>> good ;-) ) web developers try to follow the Strict rules.
>
> If you want to compare with HTML, ANSI C is like HTML 2.0. C99 is like
> XHTML strict and GNU C is Transitional. Your metaphor fails miserably
> to me.

You're right... So I'll to explain more : it was more about being
strict or not. I should have said that it is stricter to use only C
style comments. And being strict is *really* a good thing.

> And please do not invoke readability. VLC code is anyway unreadable
> because its insane alien parathesis/spacing conventions.

;-) Anyone to write a script for that?

Thanks for the quick answer,

Pierre.