[vlc-devel] Re: Roadmap and other stuffs.

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Sun Mar 25 17:22:23 CEST 2007

On 25 mars 07, at 17:06, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> I have been using darcs at work, and I agree that this kind of tool
> has
> great advantages for branching...
>
> But yhe very uncool thing is that it's more complicated than SVN, and
> almost none of us know how to use git.

Let's say that is doesn't work exactly like cvs, but it is still very
close.

Basic usage goes like that:
git fetch origin # download the changes from upstream
git rebase origin # apply your current branch patch after origin

# Do some work ...
git commit -a # Commit every local changes

# Hack more ...
git commit -a # Commit every local changes

# (That's really a cool feature you can commit on a local branch)

git push # publish all your local commits (equivalent to svn commit).
# or
git-format-patch # prepare email patches with all your local commits

The only problem would be to have a copy of the svn tree hosted in a
public git repository, that mean triggering on svn commit git-svn or
git-svnimport, or doing this on a daily basis. Which is the
complicated thing.

>> Is it doable to do that with SVN?
>> What do you see against doing it that way?
>
> Not really. You have to create a separate branch, and sync/merge
> manually (i.e. create a "non-semantic" copy of each patch).

So we could write a script for that, but then the git-svn trigger
might be easier to do, and simpler to use...

Thanks again for the quick answer :)

Pierre.