[vlc-devel] Re: osx fullscreen 'flashing'

Martin Forget mforget at mtotelecom.com
Fri May 11 05:48:39 CEST 2007

great! thanks a lot...

i am of very limited cocoa skills... but if i can test or whatever...
id be happy to help!

i guess this is going to endup somewhat like qtkit..?

my project was originally using qtkit... and is intended for the
appletv.
but since qtkit has major issues for the appletv when playing h264
(the hardware accelerators messes up everything... the video appears
upside down and b/w)
i decided to move to vlc.
(actual performance tests show that vlc is sometime more performant
than nvidia hardware decoder ...
except for full hd h264.. but xvid gives a somewhat comparable
quality , and using vlc, the appletv can decode fine up to 720p)

quick question.... (probably very far fetched but... )
when using qtkit... the vout is really displayed over the window...
and not composited with the window data)
putting a textbox over a qtview ... you don't see the textbox when it
starts... qtkit overwrites everything)

do you think the vlc.framework will react the same way?

my goal is to have alpha blended flash over some video  (so i can do
an iptv interface in flash very fast)
originally i was thinking of a qtview with a transparent webview over
with flash in it... but that fell appart because flash can be
transparent
only to it's own nswindow... and qtkit overwrites everything!)

so i moved to vlc -I rc and apollo flash runtime(transparent window)
in front... (works fine.. flash talks to vlc using -Irc socket)
but i get that anoying white flashing

so a vlc.framework static window behind... sounds perfect!

anyway... sorry for the long bla bla ... i'll start compiling a fresh
vlc with your framework...

thanks
-mart