[vlc-devel] Re: problems linking an using mediacontrol API

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Fri May 18 22:13:25 CEST 2007

> Reading the API doc I saw tha mediacontrol_new had three arguments,
> but when a looked at the code I had downloaded (VLC version 0.8.6a) I
> saw that it only got to (of course, it wouldn't compile otherwise):
> the char** and the mediacontrol_Exception*. It seemed odd.
The mediacontrol_new API changed from 0.8.6 to the current svn. I did
not backport the changes.

> g++ jdplayer.cpp -O0 -g3 -o jjdplayer `vlc-config --cflags --libs vlc` -lvlc
> and also
You should use
`vlc-config --libs external`
to get the correct libs. But anyway, for 0.8.6, it should output the
same thing as --libs vlc.

> I also had to #undef __VLC__, otherwise it would cry for an inexistent
> vlc_common.h
In 0.8.6, the mediacontrol API was mainly used by language bindings, and
relied on features available only from a compiled VLC tree.

The situation is much saner in the svn tree, but the next release is
still a couple of weeks/months away. However, your best bet would be to
try with a svn version.

Olivier