[vlc-devel] Re: Compile VLC for debugging

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Sun May 20 18:34:32 CEST 2007

Hello

Am 20.05.2007 um 17:24 schrieb Andrew Stone:
> I'd also like to know.
>
> ./configure --enable-debug --disable-optimizations
>
> doesn't disable optimizations for some reason.
That's correct. The debug flag works as expected (it adds debug info,
etc.), but -optimizations is a bit useless, as VLC's code is always
being optimised with our current build system without having the
possibility to change the level by hand. You can only specifically
disable the usage of AltiVec optimisations (for PowerPC CPUs) and
additionally, you may optimise for memory usage (--enable-optimize-
memory).

We recommend you to use gdb for debugging VLC. Simply running VLC in
it, is straight forward: "$ gdb ./vlc" (or similar; depending where
your VLC binary is actually located). Using gdb is a bit more
complicated, so please have a look at gdb's documentation.

Regards,
Felix

--
VideoLAN