[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r20216 (courmisch)

Sigmund Augdal sigmund.augdal at gmail.com
Mon May 21 11:31:15 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 10:19 +0100, Damien Fouilleul wrote:
> Subversion daemon wrote:
> > r20216 | courmisch | 2007-05-19 22:31:02 +0200 (Sat, 19 May 2007) | 3 lines
> > Changed paths:
> >    M /trunk/src/audio_output/intf.c
> >
> > Make saved-volume variable a per-libvlc instance rather than per-system process variable.
> > I find the original semantic a bit suspicious, but someone should really double check this commit and revert if needed.
> >
> >  > http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/changeset/20216
> >

> Although I have no problem with this commit, it seems that automatic
> 'volume-saving' is a bad idea, especially in a context where multiple
> instance of libvlc exists in the same application (i am thinking web
> plugins), i'd rather see configuration option akin to 'save volume on
> quit' which can be turned on/off by the user (and by the plugin)
This isn't about saving volume on quit, but about saving volume on mute.
(if I understand correctly). Anyway it used to be possible for several
libvlc-instances to share a audio output, this may be why this setting
was global. I don't know whether this is still possible or not, and I
don't know if the volume is handled before or after the stage in which
the audio from different instances get mixed together. I just thought it
might be relevant.

Sigmund