[vlc-devel] Re: Help wanted for small (?) VLC development job

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Mon May 21 20:06:10 CEST 2007

Adam Luker wrote:
> (If this is a bad place to post this request, please let me know where I
> SHOULD go.)
>

> I am working with a company that wants to use VLC in a (hopefully)
> widely-distributed set-top-type video receiver box.  We are currently hoping
> to primarily use one particular codec.  The problem is that the codec in
> question is not supported under VLC and (importantly) is non-free.

If the codec is non-free, then it is not possible to link it with VLC
and distribute it to your customers. A way around this is having the
non-free codec in a DSP and interface with it through a DMA or PCI-type
of channel.

Pleas read the COPYING file in vlc source code or the GPL license text
on FSF.org

> We have been pursuing arrangements with the codec developers to license
> their decoding libraries, and need to find a developer to make a VLC codec
> module for us that will interface with a binary decoding library supplied by
> the codec developers.  (i.e. the module we need created will act just like
> any other VLC codec module, except that it will make calls to the
> closed-source library to do the actual decoding.)  As I haven't done much
> programming since PASCAL was in vogue, I'm not up to the task of figuring it
> all out, and would much rather pay one of you guys who has already
> contributed so much to the OSS world.
>

> This seems to me to be a rather straightforward project; please let me know
> if I'm mistaken or if I seem to be missing an important facet of the
> situation.  Also, please let me know if you are interested. :-)

Grtz
Jean-Paul Saman.