[vlc-devel] Re: Compile VLC for debugging

Herman Schultz herman.schultz at gmail.com
Wed May 23 15:28:20 CEST 2007

On 5/23/07, Rémi Denis-Courmont <rdenis at simphalempin.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2007 16:11:14 -0500, "Herman Schultz"
> <herman.schultz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I ' ./configure --enable-debug' and then 'make',
> > but when I run the final 'vlc', I get  'File format not recognized'
> error.
> >
> > $ gdb ./vlc
> > GNU gdb 6.6-debian
> > Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> > are
> > welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> > conditions.
> > Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> > details.
> > This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu"...
> > "/home/herman/src/vlc-trunk/vlc": not in executable format: File format
> > not
> > recognized
> >
> > can you please help how can I run vlc under debugger?
>
> The solution to this problem has already been posted in this exact same
> thread. Could you please try self help, and limit questions for difficult
> issues?

Thanks. I did try what a poster suggested, but it just does not work for me:
"We recommend you to use gdb for debugging VLC. Simply running VLC in
it, is straight forward: "$ gdb ./vlc" (or similar; depending where
your VLC binary is actually located). Using gdb is a bit more
complicated, so please have a look at gdb's documentation."

Thank you.