[vlc-devel] Re: build python binding from vlc binary dist (win2k)?

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Thu May 24 22:38:42 CEST 2007

> I was wondering how to build the python binding starting from the
> binary distribution of vlc under Windows. I'm interested in running it
> under Python 2.5 and I have the requisite Cygwin environment set up
> for building python extensions, but I'm a little new to the process.
You cannot for the moment do it from the binary distribution. I wanted
to do some lobbying on the distribution maintainers for various
platforms (win32, MacOSX, debian...) and ask them to include the needed
files (i.e. the include/vlc directory and the vlc-config script, which
would then need some fixing), but I never found the time.

Let's do it now: if any packager is reading this, could you consider
shipping the include/vlc directory and vlc-config script, so that it is
possible to build the language bindings without having to build the
whole tree?

> Or, if someone can point me to an pre-built installer for the python
> bindings, that would be very much appreciated.
You could try your luck with http://download.gna.org/advene/win32/ but
the state of the 0.8.6 vlc libraries made it difficult to build a module
that worked with the standard vlc distribution, so I cannot guarantee
that it will work.

The svn version is much better in this respect, but there is no official
prerelease yet.

Olivier