[vlc-devel] Re: build python binding from vlc binary dist (win2k)?

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Fri May 25 08:40:50 CEST 2007

On Thu, 24 May 2007 22:38:42 +0200, Olivier Aubert
<olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr> wrote:
>> I was wondering how to build the python binding starting from the
>> binary distribution of vlc under Windows. I'm interested in running it
>> under Python 2.5 and I have the requisite Cygwin environment set up
>> for building python extensions, but I'm a little new to the process.
> You cannot for the moment do it from the binary distribution. I wanted
> to do some lobbying on the distribution maintainers for various
> platforms (win32, MacOSX, debian...) and ask them to include the needed
> files (i.e. the include/vlc directory and the vlc-config script, which
> would then need some fixing), but I never found the time.

> Let's do it now: if any packager is reading this, could you consider
> shipping the include/vlc directory and vlc-config script, so that it is
> possible to build the language bindings without having to build the
> whole tree?

I am not a packager myself, still: it does not make much sense for a
packager to do this so long as vlc-config is wrong (plus we should use
pkg-config instead). Second, it only makes sense of the Python bindings
are logically separated from the native source, i.e. not included in the
normal source tarball, and not part of the normal build system.

Last but not least, people need to be aware that the VLC Python bindings
(or Java, or .Net, etc) are GPL-contamination. This is not obvious, as
most common software OSS libraries are LGPL or BSD-like.

http://www.remlab.net/