[vlc-devel] Re: build python binding from vlc binary dist (win2k)?

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Thu May 31 18:56:54 CEST 2007

> I am not saying headers should not be shipped. I am saying shipping them
> to help with part of the main VLC source tree is clumsy at best. Either
> Python bindings move to a source tarball of their own, or they do not
> require external headers installation. IMHO, any compromise combines
> the disadvantages of both ends rather than their advantages.
OK. Just forget the part about language bindings. What I need is the
headers shipped with the binary distributions, just to have the pleasure
to look at them. The fact that I will use them to build appropriate
language bindings is just a nice side-effect, that you do not have to
worry about.

But, as you say, you are not a packager, and packagers do not seem to
react to these messages, so I will just have to bug them individually.
BTW, who is the packager for the win32 distribution ? Gildas Bazin is
still listed in the MAINTAINERS file, but I do not know if it is
up-to-date.

Olivier