[vlc-devel] Re: build python binding from vlc binary dist (win2k)?

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Tue May 29 17:19:24 CEST 2007

Le mardi 29 mai 2007, Olivier Aubert a écrit :
> >  Second, it only makes sense of the Python bindings
> > are logically separated from the native source, i.e. not included
> > in the normal source tarball, and not part of the normal build
> > system.
>
> This objection could stand if the bindings were shipped in *binary*
> distributions.

To the contrary. Nobody builds the Python bindings *because* they are
part of the main VLC source tree. Packagers do not want to add yet
another set of dependencies and extra compile time to their VLC
packages. Shipping a vlc-devel package makes no difference whatsoever.

> As it is not the case, users have to compile it themselves, and it is
> a big burden to have to recompile the whole tree.

It would be totally non-sensical for packagers to ever build the Python
bindings as a separate "source package", so long as they are included
in the main VLC source tarball.

Building bindings by hand is impractical at best, and out-of-reach of
many users, so this is a non-argument.

Plus there will never be any incentive for LibVLC developers (including
but not limited to me) to ever care about installing headers properly
if there are no external packages depending on them. That again
accounts for packagers not providing decent "vlc-devel" binary
packages.

> Simply providing the includes is a simple yet effective way of
> making things simpler for everyone. Moreover, it would make it easier
> to provide other language bindings, which would be nice to have.

I am not saying headers should not be shipped. I am saying shipping them
to help with part of the main VLC source tree is clumsy at best. Either
Python bindings move to a source tarball of their own, or they do not
require external headers installation. IMHO, any compromise combines
the disadvantages of both ends rather than their advantages.

http://www.remlab.net/