[vlc-devel] building with java bindings

Alexander Bethke abethke at oamk.fi
Wed Nov 14 10:08:09 CET 2007

Ok, just wanted to report back to where I got now.

The problem I had with the missing IF2block_size was related to AMR
support in ffmpeg.
So I just dropped AMR for now and it builds, have to get back to that later.
So my build, combination of a recent ffmpeg revision (2007-11-02), vlc
revision from 2007-06-01 and x264 from 2007-11-02 seems to work.
Flv-muxing is working (with it's little flaws). Even the java bindings
seem to do their job, at least for the stuff I need it for (vlm-control).

some notes on my build process (this is not a step-by-step howto, just
info on my config and things I had to do apart from the normal procedure):

ffmpeg (extras/ffmpeg):
without amr:
./configure --enable-gpl --enable-pp \
    --enable-pthreads --enable-libmp3lame \
    --enable-libfaac --enable-shared

x264: (extras/x264)
.configure --enable-pic --enable-shared
 --> those options to fix problem with 64bit systems

vlc:
build$ ../configure \
        --enable-snapshot --enable-debug \
        --enable-shared-libvlc --enable-java-bindings \
        --with-ffmpeg-tree=../extras/ffmpeg \
        --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac \
        --enable-x264 --with-x264-tree=../extras/x264 \
        --enable-shout --enable-taglib \
        --enable-v4l \
        --enable-dc1394 --enable-dv \
        --enable-dvb --enable-dvdread \
        --enable-libdvbpsi --enable-a52 \
        --enable-libmpeg2\
        --enable-svg --enable-speex \
        --enable-faad \
        --enable-ogg \
        --enable-real --enable-realrtsp \
        --enable-twolame \
        --enable-flac \
        --enable-caca --disable-qt4 \
        --enable-ggi --enable-mkv\
        --enable-ncurses --disable-x11\
        --enable-esd --enable-freetype

java-bindings:
I had to copy the java source code of the java bindings from the contrib
folder
    to the build folder as they would not compile otherwise

    JAVA_HOME has to be set to something like
    export JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/"

To run jvlc gui stuff I needed to add the folder with the libmawt.so to
my ld path

    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/xawt/

Java Media Control sounds to me like a new approach finally, of course
it would be wonderful if they would also support encoding and that kind
of stuff, but as far as I know they seem to at least now concentrate on
the decoding side. Let's see, when and if something like that comes.

For now I am using a unix named pipe to get the data stream from vlc
output into my java app.

Comments and questions welcome,

Alex